Tuesday, August 29, 2006

T-Rex - Charger modifications

Ok some new developments, I got the parts I ordered in the mail, woohoo.



The DN Power charger I bought is a field charger, that’s fine but I may want to have the ability to charge in an outlet. Well being the geek that I am I have a smalex 13.8V 23A power supply that I used to use to power my peltier device when I was water-cooling and overclocking my PC. I posted the question to the HeliFreak forum "will this PSU work?" and sure enough someone is using that PSU to power their charger…Sweet! actually he is powering 4 chargers with it.
It was also suggested that I get rid of the banana clips on the field charger and use something else as they are dangerous. Well the PSU terminals take stripped wires, so I attached the stripped ends of a molex connector to the PSU. I then snipped off the banana clips and added a molex to the bare leads. Now I can make any kind of cable work with my battery charger, by adding a molex connector. At some point I may change to a more robust connector like the powerpoles suggested by z11355 on the freak forum. http://www.powerwerx.com/category.asp?CtgID=1001



I also soldered my Deans connectors on my Lipo batteries while I had the iron hot.

No comments: